Page 1 of 5
New Paltz Open Air Market 2019
The mission of the New Paltz Open Air Market (NPOAM) is to provide the community with
access to a diverse array of healthy, local, and sustainably grown and produced products; to
educate the community about the benefits of local and sustainable agriculture to personal
health, the community, the environment, and the local economy; and to support local
producers by offering them an retail outlet for their products.
The New Paltz Open Air Market will be managed by the Market Manager, Ariana Basco, who
will be supported by the Market Board. The Market Board will be made up of three
volunteers with market management experience.
The NPOAM will operate under the following principles:
● Locally grown, locally made, farmer grown: Priority will be given to farmers
within a 40 mile radius of New Paltz, New York. If a farmer runs out of a specific
item, and a neighboring farmer who meets all other program requirements can
provide that item, the contracted vendor may re-sell this product only with advance
notice to the Market Manager.
● Value-added products: First priority is given to producers who make items out of
their own farm-grown produce. Vendors who make items out of locally-grown
products that they have purchased will be allowed as second priority in order to give
diversity to the Market.
● Organic, Sustainable, Chemical-Free: A goal of the NPOAM is to promote food
and sustainable growing practices, free from chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and
pesticides. Vendors must answer any questions regarding practices, ingredients, and
suppliers factually. To keep with the NPOAM principles, priority will be given to
farmers and vendors who sell products grown with sustainable practices, free from
chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.
● Freshness, Quality, Cleanliness: Produce and other goods must be as fresh as
possible, thoroughly cleaned, and of the highest quality. The Market Manager
reserves the right to require the vendor to remove from display any items that are of
inferior freshness, quality, or cleanliness.
● Supporting Local Businesses: A goal of the NPOAM is to promote our local brick
and mortar businesses and create more economic viability in downtown New Paltz.
To keep with this goal, we will not be accepting vendors who sell items that would
create competition with, or draw business away from already existing businesses.
● Supporting Community Organizations: Non-profit or community organizations
are invited to participate in the NPOAM. Organizations may not offer items or
services for sale (other than memberships).
Page 2 of 5
● Establish an operations plan and operating budget for the Market
● Recruit and communicate with vendors to ensure all are familiar with the rules and
have a fair opportunity to participate
● Establish and enforce rules and regulations, ensuring the market and all participants
are in compliance with State and local law, and to ensure that all concerned are
● Ensure smooth and safe operation of the Market
● Establish and collect Market fees
● Determine and arrange the Market’s operational schedule and special activities
● Conduct promotional program for the Market
● In the event that a concern or dispute occurs, please direct all grievances to the
Market Manager and/or Market Board.
● Vendors are required to bring their own table, tent and tent weights to each market
and are responsible for unloading, setting up and breaking down their stall on their
● Be completely set up and ready to sell by the opening time of the Market (10a.m.)
● Must be present for the entire duration of the market.
● The NPOAM will run Sundays 10am to 3pm from June 2nd to October 27th
● Setup will begin as early as 8:30am and breakdown will end no later than 4:30pm
● All vehicles must be removed from the street by 9:45am
● The NPOAM will be on Church Street in the Village of New Paltz
● The street will be closed to traffic from the Bistro parking lot guardrail to the corner
of Academy street for the duration of the market from setup through breakdown
● The New Paltz Open Air Market location should be left as it is found
● All items brought in must be carried away
Booth size and fee:
● The vendor fee is $20 per market. There are 22 markets in the season. The entire
season will cost $440 per vendor.
● Booth size is 10’x10’
● Fees must be paid by the first market of the month, for the number of
markets in that month. ( ie: In July there will be 5 markets and so $20 x 5 =
$100 due on the first market day of July.)
● Repeated late or non-payment will result in vendor termination at the discretion of
the Market Manager. There will be no refunds for non-attendance. Checks can
be made out to New Paltz Open Air Market. Cash will also be accepted.
● Vendors who pay for the entire season in advance will receive a 10% discount
reducing the cost of the season to $396
Page 3 of 5
● Plastic bags are BANNED in the Village of New Paltz. The NPOAM is not exempt from
this local law. Please bring paper bags, sell reusable bags or give customers boxes.
● All vendors are required to display an attractive sign with the name and location of
the farm or business in a clear and visible location.
● All items must be labeled, priced properly, and clearly understandable.
● Vendors are encouraged to have business cards, brochures, recipes, or other
educational material available for the customers.
● Vendors may participate at the invitation of the Market Manager only. Vendor
selection is limited, and determined by product category, and growing and
production practices according to the NPOAM principles. Vendors will need to submit
a new application each year to participate
● Vendor participation in the NPOAM will be limited to available space and to the needs
of the market in accordance with applicable law and its mission statement, in the
good faith discretion of the Market Board.
● Applications may be denied and Vendors may be terminated by the Market Board at
any time and for any reason, consistent with the mission statement of the Market.
● Vendors who would like to participate part time are welcome to as long as it is with
consistency and arranged in advance. For example: participation on the 1st and 3rd
Sundays of each month.
● The NPOAM operates rain or shine.
● Vendors are expected to attend all dates for which they have committed, unless the
Market has been cancelled by the Market Manager. In case of cancellation, the
Market Manager will contact each vendor at least by 8:30 a.m. the day of the
cancelled Market using the contact information provided to the Market Manager by
such vendor. Please be sure to provide correct contact information, including
alternate phone numbers or email addresses.
● In the event that a vendor cannot attend the Market, the vendor should notify the
Market Manager as soon as possible and no later than 12pm (NOON) the day before
● Failure to attend scheduled Market Days without proper notice given to the Market
Manager will be considered an unauthorized no-show. After an unauthorized
no-show, the NPOAM has the right to terminate the vendor’s participation in the
Hold-Harmless Clause and Insurance:
● Each vendor must carry his/her own liability insurance of $1,000,000 and must have
an insurance certificate on file with the market manager before he/she is allowed to
come to the market.
● The insurance certificate must list the following as certificate holders:
○ Village of New Paltz, 25 Plattekill Ave., New Paltz, NY 12561
○ Town of New Paltz, 1 Clearwater Rd, New Paltz, NY 12561
● The insurance must also list the following as additionally insured:
○ Ariana Basco, 2 Pencil Hill, New Paltz, NY 12561.